The Expressway Programme will provide vital transportation links across Qatar connecting key cities, towns and villages with high quality national freeways and urban arterial routes.
Qatar’s entire network of expressways, highways and local roads has been reviewed as part of this Programme. Fundamental improvements and enhancements at existing projects have been planned. Ashghal’s strategy is to develop a road network that beneﬁts all communities and provides sustainable trafﬁc management solutions that match those available in advanced countries.
The Programme is a nationwide road infrastructure scheme that will improve the way people and places are connected across the city of Doha and wider Qatar. It will deliver over 900 kms of new roads and an array of underpasses, ﬂyovers and multi-level interchanges to enable free-ﬂowing trafﬁc and improved journey times. Ashghal is responsible for the design, construction, delivery and maintenance of all expressways and major roads that cater to current and future trafﬁc demands in Qatar.
Ashghal aims to enable greater mobility, and shorten travel times and improve public safety on the roads.
- A seven year programme (2010 - 2017).
- Delivers approximately 240 major interchanges ranging from conventional trafﬁc lights, to four level interchanges with tunnels and ﬂyover.
- More than 30 major projects to be delivered.
- Kellogg Brown & Root Pty Ltd (KBR) appointed as the Programme Manager.
- New and upgraded freeways, expressways and arterial roads across Qatar.
- The Expressway Programme will provide a national roads network capable of sustaining the future development and expansion of a world-class infrastructure within Qatar.
Construction work began in 2012 on six expressway projects bringing the total number of projects under construction to ten. The Expressway Programme contract value of all projects currently under construction is estimated at QR 16 billion.