Another key programme that provides vital drainage infrastructure for the southern part of Doha is the Inner Doha Re-sewerage Implementation Strategy or IDRIS. This scheme will include a major deep tunnel sewer network and advanced sewage treatment works.
The Programme will provide a long-term wastewater treatment solution to serve the needs of Doha, Al Wakra and Messaieed. IDRIS is developed to upgrade and expand the sewerage infrastructure, and to accommodate the projected population growth of an additional one million people in Doha’s oldest area –the south catchment.
The major tunneled interceptor sewer and advanced sewage treatment works scheme will meet the long-term demands of the Doha South Catchment for the next 50 years, eliminate the hydraulically overloaded conditions, and remove over 35 existing pump stations. The Programme Management Consultant is CH2M HILL International.
- Duration: 8 years (2012 – 2019).
- Conveyance system consists of more than 40 km of deep main trunk sewer and over 70 km of lateral interceptor sewers.
- One large and approximately 70 meter (m) deep terminal pump station.
- New Doha South advanced sewage treatment works with an initial capacity of 500 thousand litres per day (Mᴲ/Day).
- More than 70 km of treated sewage effluent return mains and pump stations.
- Estimated cost: In excess of QR 10 billion.